What it takes to be a Senior Java Developer
The R&D Team at Dealer.com has spent over a decade building an award-winning web platform and innovative internet marketing software and is recognized by industry experts and our clients as a global leader in the automotive industry. Most recently the company was named one of 20 North American companies for “Top Small Company Workplace” by Inc. magazine and Winning Workplaces.
We’re not only leading the way in developing cutting edge technology, but leading a revolution in our industry. With over 15,000 sites launched throughout the US and Canada, and approximately 20 million hits per month, the websites we build – and the backend software that supports them – have made a huge impact on the automotive online marketing industry.
Dealer.com empowers its employees by offering a casual, creative, collaborative yet challenging and energized work environment. We have many exciting projects in the pipeline, and the team operates with a great sense of pride that comes with knowing that others are listening to their ideas, and in designing and delivering software that has a positive impact for the company and our clients.
We believe that it is critical to encourage personal development to have a successful team. As such, we have an established budget for employee education to allow developers to take training courses, attend conferences or otherwise improve their skill set and encourage team discussions such as “brown bag” lunch sessions to promote knowledge sharing, new technical concepts and thought leadership. The company is also focused on continuing to improve our development environments and tools to promote best practices throughout the software development lifecycle. Our recent adoption of Git, Hudson and Spring are examples of our continuing commitment to provide time and training to improve our development environment and tool-chain.
Our Java Software Engineers are detail-oriented and extraordinarily passionate. We thrive on designing simple and scalable solutions to complex problems and delivering leading edge software products for our customers. We are looking for exceptionally ambitious and communicative hands-on individuals who are comfortable working as part of an interdisciplinary team, have experience working in fast-paced environments and who have passion and skills to take our product offering to the next level.
As a Senior Java Developer you will work in a collaborative team environment that encourages you to perform at your best, and challenges you to engineer elegant solutions for complex business problems. You will architect, design and develop robust and scalable server-side software for high-volume transaction web-based applications. You will be an accomplished well-rounded developer, with a mastery of object-oriented design with appropriate use of best practices, design patterns, and frameworks and a thorough understanding of the implication of software designs and implementation choices on application performance and maintainability.
- Design, develop and maintain web-based applications to enhance the performance and reliability of our current applications, as well as participate in the development of new industry-leading products, leveraging technologies such as Spring, Grails, MySQL, Coherence, Solr, MongoDB, RabbitMQ,etc.
- Design and develop service oriented architecture solutions, constructing and managing services published to both internal and external consumers, integrating with complex database and third party components.
- Architect, design and develop platform level components including event architectures, messaging, and caching solutions.
- Collaborate with other developers on best practices, code reviews, internal tools and process improvements.
- Guide, coach and mentor team members as required, assisting in the team’s skills development during software development projects.
- Analyze and conceive solutions, and develop prototypes for next generation components to extend platform architecture, solve complex business problems and extend business functionality to maintain Dealer.com’s position as an industry leader.
We move fast, that means you have to as well! The ability to work in a collaborative team environment is a must. Most importantly, you need to be able to conceive of and deliver clean, simple, well modularized code.
The ideal candidate will have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related field required. Advanced technical degree and/or related training a plus.
- At least 6 years of multi-threaded server-side web application development experience.
- Proven track record designing and implementing web applications with highly optimized and scalable architectures.
- Proven ability to work independently; designing, developing and deploying solutions, and to deliver projects on time with minimal direction.
- Experience evaluating and implementing best practices tools and techniques for software development, leading code reviews and coaching/mentoring Java Developers.
- Strong Java skills and object-oriented design experience, including strong working knowledge of the Java web technology platform, applied use of design patterns, JSP and servlets.
- Excellent database development skills including a solid understanding of database technologies, and logical and physical data modeling.
- Experience with session management, object relational mapping, XML web services, and agile development methodologies desired.
- Experience with Spring Framework strongly desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience designing and developing platform level components including events architectures, messaging, and caching is a plus.